Sunday, June 15, 2008

Big Bike, small goat, little skirt, Boppin Party!

I bought a bike!!! My friend Ann and I were determined to buy bikes! Everyone here is so mobile. Either you are riding a bike, on a moto, or you are walking. We decided now was the time to get them. There were a lot of bikes shops, but we visited the first one we came across. The man who owned the shop was john. He advised us to get these huge bikes that were brand new. I said to him, "Now, look at me, I am very short!" He said, "I am as tall as you! Don't worry, we will fix it and make sure it fits you." I thought, ok, what the heck. So, we paid him and off we went super excited to buy bikes!!! We came back two days later to pick up the bikes and they looked exactly the same. They were huge and definitely made for a man to ride. We were a bit hesitant, but willing to try out the bikes so off we went into Gulu traffic reminding ourselves that we had to drive on the left hand side. AHAHAH!!! So scary. We were doging, cars, goats, cattle and we could barely get on the bikes! We were falling all over the place. Finally when Ann and I got back to the house we both said, "We have to go back and get new bikes!" So...The following day, I tred to ride the bike to school in my short skirt and when I say short I mean my shirt that covered my knees. That is really short here. I could barely get on the bike! My friend Agnes showed me how it was done in Uganda. You put one foot on the pedal and throw your other leg over. I got on and road to school, but while I was riding a bug flew in my eye and I almost took out a child. So...I was convinced that I needed a smaller bike. We returned to the shop and the owner gave us new shinny bikes that are just our size. I almost thought I couldn't ride a bike! That evenning as we were coming home with our new bikes I spotted a boy, who couldn't have been more than five years old, riding the old large bike that I had just traded in! Obviously, that large bike was for all sizes, I just didn't know how to ride it. :)

The next day when I came home I saw that we had two goats in our back yard! I asked my friend Agnes, "Agnes! We got goats!" Thinking that we got new pets. She said, "Yes, they are for the party tonight." I tried to not show the expression of horror that was on my face. "Oh," I said, "That's great, we are so lucky..." So I sadly watched the goats happily chewing on grass, but little did they know that they were going to be our dinner that very night. I said a goodbye to the goats as I was leaving on my way to school, cause I knew when I got back they were not going to be the same. I thanked them for their sacrifice. When I got home, guess what was on the grill?

BUT...we did have an amazing party. The organization that I am working for called Invisible Children organized a party for their staff because one of their staff members was leaving. We had a great feats of potatoes, vegetables, and you guessed it...goat. Which I did eat...and it was good.... It really makes you appreciate your food and the true definition of the circle of life. We had such a good time dancing all night long to amazing music in our front yard. All of the Americans went to bed and most of the Ugandans partied until the sun came up!!! It was awesome!

Today we are going to go see a man who keeps bee hives and gardens. I am excited! I hope everyone is well and having an awesome summer!!! :)

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I love watching tiny kids ride huge bikes. Can't wait to see you soon!