Monday, May 31, 2010

Three sisters a Grandma and Portugal!

We have finally made it! This has been a dream come true for all of us--to get the opportunity to share our beloved country of Portugal with our Grandmother. For years we have been trying to get her to go and she always insisted that she was too old. Well, now that she is 90 she told us one day that it was time to go. (no one says no to Grandma) So we packed up our bags, made reservations and off we went to Portugal! Oh Portugal, the home of our ancestors that came over in 1917 during WWI. It's truly mind boggling to think about. We hope to visit the small town where our great grandmother grew up and visit places like Fatima, Sintra and explore Lisbon. Surprisingly my 2 semesters of college Portuguese are coming back to me, but it sure helps to have a Grandmother that is fluent.
Right now we are all exhausted and taking naps in the hotel. I am looking out our window into the center square of Lisbon. The houses rise up onto the mountains and they all have the very typical red roofs. When I looked out the airplane window I saw a sea of red roofs. I can't believe we are in Europe! This city is so old and filled with so much history. I have to say, being here makes me very proud to be Portuguese! Que bom! :) Ate logo!

1 comment:

Cristina said...

So amazing! Keep the updates coming and take lots and lots of pictures!!! :-)